Thursday, June 5, 2008

What does it look like when experinces and God's word collide

I asked this question and posed it also to some friends. Although I am not totally sure what it means here is a story of what it looked like in my own life.

March 2003

I was, for the first time in my life, an official pastor. I had just begun as a youth pastor at New Hope Church in Bend, OR. I was a little nervous to come into this role and all that it entails. I was inheriting about 30 volunteers and 2 different youth groups. This was a bit intimidating considering I was only 23 years old and fresh out of college. Now i had always been told the verse 1 Timothy 4:12 "don't let anyone look down on you because you are young but be an example" This was always in the context of being a kid and doing big things for God. Now that I am in a position of authority, with a wife and a big position, God's word came alive. That verse that was written thousands of years ago has now become a life style. I saw God work in my life in a way that I had not seen prior. I cant help the fact that I was young but I could decide to be an example in everything I did. I am not going to lie and say that everything worked out perfectly but I will say that God's word did work out perfectly. I wouldn't change anything that happened in that time because it molded me into who I am today.

So when my experience at that time met God's word I saw life and a metamorphosis.

No comments: