Friday, June 13, 2008

Question of the Week

Here is my question for the week.

My question, dear friends, is twofold: can to much of a morally neutral thing be eternally bad; and are there morally neutral things in your personal life that Christ is asking you to get rid of, or remove - things he just wants out, even though there is nothing evil about it?

Yes.






I will explain myself. There are many things that I do that do not necessarily pull away from God. The problem is that they potential draw me away from the things I think I should do or really things that I know I need to do. If I were to read the Bible as much as I do other things like TV, movies or video games I may qualify for a PHD. I think America breeds distraction. My son has recently started to watch cartoons on TV and the commercials that they have for all sorts of kid stuff is mind blowing. At a young age we are programed to buy and to consume. All of the things that we end up with I believe take away from what our mission in life is.

I am not sure what the answer is though. There are aspects of my life that I can immediately control and things that I can get rid of but what is the balance of being in the world and not of the world. At what point have we crossed the line between understanding pop culture and being able to relate to people and being consumed by pop culture and consumerism. I still am searching for that answer. I want to live my life as close to Jesus as I can and at the same time I seek to find what that looks like during my life time at this point in history.

Verses that come to mind when wrestling with this issue:
1Jn 2:15
Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

James 4:17
Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins.

1Co 6:12
“Everything is permissible for me”—but not everything is beneficial. “Everything is permissible for me”—but I will not be mastered by anything.

3 comments:

Steve said...

great verses! I love those. Tuff words from Tuff pants! SBS rocks!
shhhhh quiet.

Jack said...

Hey Andy could you chang my name in your blog list to "J.P Collins" it's my pen name...thanks

Casey said...

The first text that comes to my mind regarding this question is Hebrews 12:1 - "...let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely..."

Notice that he says "every weight" and then says "sin," distinguishing between the two. Stuff can weigh us down even if it's not overtly sinful.

I'm also reminded of Jesus' parable of the sower. What was represented by the seed being choked out by thorns? Jesus said it was God's word being "choked by the cares and riches and pleasures of life" (Luke 8:14).

Again, cares and riches and pleasures of this life are not inherently bad, but if not held in check they can choke out the word of God in anyone's life.