Monday, June 23, 2008

A C.S. Lewis Easter Egg


If you have seen the movie Prince Caspian or better yet have read the book you may remember a conversation that Lucy and Aslan had. I love the dialog because there is a lot that we can learn about God's nature through it. The older and wiser I get (be it ever so slowly) I see how we CS Lewis weaves Biblical themes into his Narnia series. Here is the quote:

“Aslan,” said Lucy, “you’re bigger.”
“That is because you are older, little one,” answered he.
“Not because you are?”
“I am not. But every year you grow, you will find me bigger.”

As Lucy gets older and grows so does Aslan. I feel like that same is true in my own life. As I get older I see God and being bigger and bigger. When I was a kid God was protector from bad dreams and monsters in the closet. In high school God would guard me from embassement and ridicule. In college he was a guide for an unknown future. Now that I have a family and am totally on my own God has become increasingly larger. He is the Lord of all and the director of my life. He is the protector of my wife and kids, the provider of my financial needs, and the creator of everything. As I have grown so has my view of God. That is not to say the God never was those things that I now see but rather I am just beginning to see all that God is and I cant wait to see what aspects of God I have been missing now, when I am in my 60's.

Just thought I would share a little thought with you all today.

1 comment:

Janna said...

Well said. The CON is full of those delightful little nuggets of Biblical wisdom. Makes me want to read them for the fortieth time and find them all.

Sweet picture.