Friday, December 12, 2008

Question of the Week

Some friends of mine and yours truly and answering some questions this week. If you are reading this then feel free to blog on this same question and let me know so I can read it. This is a question i got from a cheesy youth ministry book and I asked my volunteers in front of the high school students and I have not stopped thinking about the answer yet. Here is the questions...

Where do you feel closest to God?

This is a big question but I choose to answer in a general sense. On a general level I feel closest to God when I experience great community. What i mean by that is that I feel like God is nearest to me when I am doing life with people in a genuine honest way. When I can be real with my friends and when they are being real with me. That is community.

I remember a specific moment when I was with a group of friends and we were all hanging at my house after a Wilco concert at the old mill. We ordered chinese food and sat around my table talking. I had 3 sets of friends from 3 periods of my life. it was just a cool moment when I was able to experience community with so many areas of my life.

That was just one of many times but in a nut shell I feel closest to God when I can have true fellow.

2 comments:

steve said...

Ah, the questions return. Nice. I don't know if I have "A" place where I feel closest to God, but I can think of 2. When I'm standing in the river fishing all alone looking at His creation, and when I'm at Journey singing to Him. The prayer board too. I guess that's 3. Oh well.

Epic said...

I’d have to agree. For me the most tangible sense of God comes when I’m around others. Christians and non-Christians both show me some aspect of God, just from different angles. There is something about humanity that points to God. When a child erupts with joy upon receiving a present at Christmas, when someone breaks down because all the places they are looking for answers turn out to be dead ends, when we laugh together so hard it hurts, when we look at each other in such a way that shows “I’m beat…” I think all these moments of shared humanity point me to God (when I’m not focused on myself). To be human is to have some internal compass that draws us towards something, that dictates our sense of existence. I find it in myself, but I find it most easily when I’m around others.

Another more simple connection, for me, is leading worship. When I’m involved in any aspect of the process of “leading worship” I feel the most connected to God. Writing songs, revising written songs, practicing with the band, choosing a set-list, actually leading worship, talking about it… thinking about it… those sorts of things involved in the act of creating musical worship as a service to the church bring me closer to God.

Cool question Andy! Got me thinking.